You are not logged in.

Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 3:45am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "Jenny77" started this thread

Date of registration:
Aug 20th 2010

Friday, August 20th 2010, 1:30pm

Problem with Volume Snapshot

Hi, I download Avir tonight and afterwards was having some problems. Everything was fine and I had ran the updater. When I went to do my first System Scan though a box popped up saying New hardware had been found. At first I didn't know what it was and did not run it but the box kept coming back so I went ahead with it. However, I got this when I did and stopped it after reading......

Since I did not download it the System Scanner would not work so I went to a site I go to for computer help. They had me disable the Volume Shadow Copy and told me to come here. Once I disabled it, The system scanner does work now.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Jenny77" (Aug 20th 2010, 1:54pm)

• "Alexandru Frigioiu" has been banned

Date of registration:
Dec 8th 2008

Operating System:
XP and VISTA

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 12:36pm

Hi,
Please make sure that your operating system has the latest updates by going here.

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Monday, August 23rd 2010, 1:07pm

Hi,

Just to add to what Alex has said, it is strange that you get this message Generic Volume Shadow Copy has not passed compatibility testing, since it’s actually a Microsoft Windows component
can I ask if you have upgraded your operating system form say XP to Vista or W7, also which OS and service pack are you running?

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

Date of registration:
Aug 20th 2010

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 6:25am

Hi,

The other site I went to said that it was strange as well. My computer does have all the latest updates, I run on Windows XP, Service Pack 2(by choice). When a friend gave me this computer it came with Vista but I had it reformatted with Xp installed instead. Like I said in my previous post with Volume Shadow Copy disabled I have no problems. However, it's went back to manual on its own and the problem persists.

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 8:47am

Hi,

Quoted

When a friend gave me this computer it came with Vista but I had it reformatted with Xp installed instead.

I thought this was the case, so my personal feelings are that you fully update and patch XP,as at present your OS is open to infections.

Quoted

I run on Windows XP, Service Pack 2(by choice).

MS SP3 link.

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

Date of registration:
Aug 20th 2010

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 2:31pm

I seriously hate Vista that is why I paid to have it removed and Xp installed. As for SP3 I have heard nothing but bad things about it. Last year I download it to my old computer and it was a mess. Most definitely not going through that again... I will just purchase a different anti-virus if having the free Avira is going to cause this much trouble.